Protect what matters.
Throughout your life, you’ve worked hard to take care of yourself and those you love. At some point, you’ve probably considered what might happen to your family if something happened to you.
I hope that you don’t need an estate plan for a very long time, but life is uncertain. Many of us choose not to plan for the worst-case scenario, and by doing so, we leave ourselves and our families vulnerable if the worst happens. Sometimes people try to go through the planning process alone, or with a set of fill-in-the-blank forms, but that can lead to unintended consequences.
The good news is that you can take control of your legacy, and build a plan that lets you leave the world a better place than you found it.
- Prepare a plan that provides for the people and causes you care about
- Put together a team that can carry out your wishes if you no longer can
- Plan for the possibility that you might become incapacitated and need assistance handling your affairs
- Pass on your estate in a cost-effective way
- Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have a plan in place
If you’re ready to take control of planning your future and your legacy, contact me today.
More than just wills and trusts
Estate planning isn’t just about documents. The wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney, and other documents are important, of course, but what’s most important is that you have the opportunity to explain your situation and get personalized advice based on your individual situation.
Why don’t people do estate planning?
- They don’t think they need a plan. Often, this takes the form of “isn’t estate planning just for the rich?” Estate planning is worthwhile even for people of more modest means, particularly when you consider that a good estate plan should include plans for making health care and financial decisions if you become unable to do so. That’s certainly not an issue that only affects the wealthy.
- They don’t need it right now. Unlike a lot of legal issues, estate planning usually isn’t urgent, but that makes it no less important. You may not need any of your estate planning documents for a long time, but we don’t know when that time will be. Unfortunately, when you do know, it may well be too late.
- They don’t want to think about death. It’s not much fun to think about your own mortality or incapacity; I won’t argue with you there. Planning removes the worry; come what may, you have prepared, and the people you care about are going to be taken care of. The peace of mind that comes with putting a plan in place is far greater than the relatively brief confrontation of a worst-case scenario.
- It costs too much. Estate planning does cost money, but you get the value of having a plan in place, ready to go when you need it. I do estate planning on a “flat fee” basis, so you’ll know the price before the work begins and you won’t have to worry about how many hours I’m spending–and billing–on your plan.
Are you ready to take control of your future by building your estate plan? If so, contact me today.
Are you the personal representative (or administrator or executor) of an estate?
If you’ve been named the personal representative of a loved one’s estate, this can be a difficult time; not only are you grieving, but you also have work to do to manage the estate. I’m here to help you through the process and to make the probate process move as smoothly as possible.
Being named as a personal representative is, in my view, an honor. It suggests that you earned your loved one’s trust, but it is not an easy task. If you’re facing the task of handling an estate, I encourage you to contact me today to determine if I can assist you.
Average Rating / 2 Total Testimonials
The Law Office of Kevin Kelly, LLC
It went very smoothly and fairly quickly for what we needed done.
Kevin, thank you for the great job you did handling the small estate matter. You were so friendly, helpful and promptly got back with me with any questions we had. In the future if I have any estate matters, I will be contacting you. Thanks again for all of your help.